Joanne has almost 30 years experience working in the pet industry. Starting out at the NSW Animal Welfare League as a Behavioural trainer, she has worked in Local Government Animal Management, Puppy class trainer in Vet Clinics, Pet Dog class instructor.
She has also worked with a number of well recognised pet industry brands and businesses.
Outside of working professionally with animals, Joanne freely admits she is a dog sport addict. She has played the sport of Flyball racing with her own dogs since 1999., plus Disc Dog (Frisbee) and dabbled in other sports.
Gold Coast Pet Butler only uses dog and people friendly reward based methods when teaching you and your puppy.
We help you build a trusting relationship with your puppy.
Joanne provides her students with an abundance of information both in class and in notes. As notes are what you have to refer back to at home and once your class is completed.
We regularly attend seminars and workshops to keep up our own knowledge of the science of training and behaviour.
We run our Open Enrolment puppy training classes at Arundel Plaza Veterinary Clinic on Tuesday evenings. Classes start at 6.15pm and a second class may start at 7.15pm if required. As we like to keep classes to a maximum of 5 puppies at a time.
Shop 36 Arundel Plaza
230-232 Napper Rd,
Arundel QLD 4214
Telephone (07) 5594 0533
Our puppy class is a fun and informative class designed to kick-start your new best friends learning and life experiences.
Puppies have critical periods of learning between the ages of 6-16 weeks. The experiences they have during these times will shape their behaviour and personality for the rest of their life. Attending puppy class will help you train and socialise your puppy in a controlled and safe environment, shaping your puppy into a well-mannered member of your family.
We strive to build positive relationships between people and their puppies based on trust and effective communication.
Students will learn;
· How dogs learn and the implications of these learning modes for training and living with dogs.
· Prevention of fear and aggression in dogs
– Understanding the importance of bite inhibition and socialisation in preventing aggression. Be able to provide positive socialisation experiences their puppies future development.
· Understand the basic physical and mental stimulation needs of dogs and how to provide for them.
· Behaviour management – Understand the importance of and be able to implement management strategies to prevent unwanted puppy behaviour.
· Understand what is reinforcing to a puppy and be able to use this knowledge to effect positive training outcomes.
· Understand and work at your dog’s level
· Problem solving – be able to apply class learning to problem solve with positive approaches to new weekly challenges you can use in real life situations for around the home and out and about with your pu
Our Puppy class is an “open enrolment” class. Meaning you can start the 5 week course at any time, without wasting precious socialisation time waiting for the next course to start. As long as your puppy has had at least one vaccination, more than 7 days prior to starting the course and they are between 6-14 weeks of age when starting the class.
If you book our puppy class you have two options to choose from:
Our Standard Puppy Class pack – The orientation lessons of the course will be sent to you online where you work through each lesson at your own pace, in the comfort of your own home. The orientation portion of the course is around 60 minutes of online videos covering;
· How dogs learn
· Housetraining and Management
· Value of rewards in training
· Say please program
· Boredom Busters and Enrichment Feeding for dogs
Our Premium Puppy Class package offers students the ability to have Joanne (our Chief Dog Nerd) to your home for a one-on-one class orientation session before coming to class with your puppy.
This can be a very effective way to “jump start” your learning with your puppy. We can help you with tailored advice to suit your individual needs and home environment on housetraining and successful management of puppy, problem prevention and working on any issues you may be concerned about.
This orientation session is a 1.5 to 2 hour visit in your home designed to get your training journey off to the best start possible. We cover all the orientation goals (listed above) one-on-one and get you started with hands on training with your own personal training session.
Our Standard puppy class package is our 5 week class in the veterinary clinic.
Includes all notes, online orientation videos, weekly handouts and email support during the class.
Includes a home visit for 1.5 to 2 hours for class orientation and a one-on-one training session to get you started.
Plus, the 5 week class in the veterinary clinic.
Includes all notes, printed orientation handouts, weekly handouts and email support during the class.
Contact Arundel Plaza Veterinary Clinic on (07) 5594 0533 to make a booking.